Firefighters were delayed in responding to a storage shed fire because they were dealing with a unnecessary grass fire in Alnwick/Haldimand Township on Tuesday, April 7, 2020.
The shed with several tires in it was spotted on a fire by a neighbour at approximately 2:45 p.m., but when he went out with an extinguisher there was little he could do as the metal shed was engulfed in flames.
Thick black smoke from the fire could be seen for several kilometres.
Fire crews had to respond from Alderville as they were dealing with a grass/brush fire.
Trent Hills and Hamilton Township Fire Department were also called to assist in the fires.
Alnwick/Haldimand Township Fire Chief Mark Diminie said it’s unknown how the shed fire started, but the grass fire at 10903 Third Line started as a result of the homeowner burning in the yard which got out of control.
Diminie said due to the conditions, the grass fire shouldn’t have been lit, but during COVID-19 it also puts firefighters at risk being in the confined space of the cab of the firetrucks.
Firefighters say they were also at the same residence in Alderville last year for another fire that got out of control.