Video – Partial Demolition of Former File Factory in Port Hope Begins

In Local

Demolition on a section of the former file factory on Cavan Street started on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 in Port Hope.

An area of Cavan Street has been closed since February 21, 2024 after part of the building facing Cavan Street has structural integrity issues.

Director of Protective Services, Jason Williams said at the time the parapet had failed towards the inside of the structure.

Town officials had been working with the owner of the property to rectify the situation.

And on Wednesday, heavy equipment was brought in and started tearing down a section of the building.

“We’re happy to see that work has started today,” said Williams.

“Making that building safe so we can ultimately get Cavan Street get back and re-opened for our residents.”

The estimated timeline for the work is one week.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Champion Athlete Frank Mazza Dies in Peterborough

Acclaimed wheelchair athlete Frank Mazza, a member of the first group of inductees into the Cobourg and District Sports

Read More...

Video – Photo Gallery – Port Hope’s Annual Candlelight Festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQnzIbtArU It was a beautiful evening for Port Hope’s annual Candlelight Festival on Friday, November 28, 2025. Adding to the celebration

Read More...

Video – Photo Gallery – Windy Weather Hits Northumberland County

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFz4Us72EJY It was a wild and windy day on Thursday, November 27, 2025 in the Northumberland County area and beyond. Although

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu