A 74-year-old Cobourg man is facing charges in a buy-and-sell scam.
On Monday, June 26, 2023, police opened an investigation (after being notified from a concerned citizen) after recovering property reported stolen from the Greater Toronto Area in May 2023.
Police seized two Seadoos, a boat and two watercraft trailers. (from a Battell Court address)
Subsequent police investigation revealed the stolen items were sold fraudulently in a buy-and-sell scam.
On Tuesday, June 27, 2023, Donald Arthur (74) of Cobourg was arrested and charged with the following offences:
1. Three counts of Possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000, contrary to section 355(a) of the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC),
2. Two counts of Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000, contrary to section 355(b) CCC
3. Fraud over $5,000, contrary to section 380(1)(a) CCC
4. Trafficking in property obtained by crime, contrary to section 355.2 CCC
5. Possession of proceeds obtained by crime over $5,000, contrary to section 355(a) CCC
The accused was released on an undertaking with a future court date.