Members of the City of Kawartha Lakes Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) conducted a traffic stop which lead to numerous criminal and provincial charges, including impaired operation, prohibited drive and open liquor.
On February 22, 2023 officers observed a motor vehicle driving with two different unauthorized plates. Upon stopping the motor vehicle officers noticed signs of impairment, along with open liquor and numerous empty beer cans in the back seat. The driver was arrested and charged with the following offences:
- Operation while prohibited (two counts)
- Driving while under suspension
- Drive motor vehicle with open container of liquor
- Operation while impaired (drug and alcohol)
- Operate a motor vehicle without insurance
- Fail to apply for permit on becoming owner
- Use plate not authorized for vehicle (two counts)
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Lindsay at a later date and the motor vehicle was impounded for 45 days.