Family Evacuated From Cobourg Home After Finding Possible Explosive Device

In Local

A Cobourg family were evacuated from their house after finding a possible explosive device on Saturday, June 13, 2020.

“I was downstairs clearing out some space to put some old tv’s under the stairs,” said Graeme Young.

“I pulled aside the linoleum that was rolled up and out came the cylinder.”

Young picked up the cylinder and it said it was a “distraction device” and “for use by military and police upon completion of training.”

Young said it certainly looked like an explosive device and there was no pin in the top of the cyinder.

Not knowing whether the device had been fully discharged, Young phoned police immediately and his wife and two-year-old daughter evacuated the house located on Otto Drive.

The family has been living in the home for approximately five years and believe the device was from the previous owner.

Members of the Cobourg Fire Department were also put on stand-by at the scene.

Cobourg Police contacted members of the Bomb Disposal Unit of the Ontario Provincial Police along with the military.

After approximately two hours it was determined the device was not active and had been discharged previously. Police removed the device from the home for disposal.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Special Cobourg Council Meeting Called for Police to Explain Budget Increase

The Town of Cobourg Legislative Services Division would like to inform all residents a Special Meeting of Council will

Read More...

YMCA Northumberland Launches 10th Annual Operation Red Nose

YMCA Northumberland is proud to celebrate a major milestone this year, with the 10th Anniversary of Operation Red Nose

Read More...

Enbridge Gas Ontario teams up with Brighton Fire & Rescue to Reduce Fire and Carbon Monoxide Deaths

On Thursday, November 27, 2025 Enbridge Gas Ontario (Enbridge Gas) and Brighton Fire & Rescue announced they are working

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu