Natural Gas Leak Causes Evacuation in Downtown Cobourg

In Editor Choice, Local

A natural gas leak evacuated a number of buildings and stores in downtown Cobourg on Thursday, July 5, 2018.
Cobourg Fire Department were called to the 251 Division Street in Cobourg after numerous 9-1-1 calls were received reporting a gas leak around 9:52 a.m
A Polaris Ranger side by side vehicle was driving south on Division Street and struck the gas line outside the building and continued south on Division Street.
Numerous firefighters, police and Union Gas officials converged on the area evacuating a number of apartments and businesses on both sides of the Division Street.
Division Street from King Street to Covert Street was closed for most of the day along with the businesses.
Investor’s Group consultant Peter Briggs office is just a few doors away from the gas meter.
“We smelled gas and called 9-1-1 and at the time I went outside. You could hear the gas leak,” said Briggs.
“Things went into action pretty quick.”
In the Investor’s Group office you could smell the odour and Briggs said on the street it was even worse.
“We have no windows to vent it so it will probably take awhile to get (smell) out.”
Within approximately one hour the area of the gas leak was plugged, but Union Gas had to make repairs which entail the area still be blocked off for safety reasons.
Union Gas Field Supervisor of Utility Services for Cobourg Brent Alexander said the side by side struck the gas riser on Division Street.
“The evacuation took place as a precaution. The gas was venting to the atmosphere so it was safe, but just as a precaution we had the fire department evacuate both sides of Division Street.
Captain Todd Wilson of the Cobourg Fire Department said when members of Union Gas shut off the gas line, firefighters pulled a number of hose lines for the protection of the workers.
“It’s their protocol to ensure safety in all the buildings so they have sent their people in with their detection equipment to check all the buildings in the area for any gas which would be vented out properly until it’s all safe for the residents to return.
Approximately 20 units were evacuated for most of the day.
At approximately 10:47 a.m. Cobourg Fire Department also responded to a gas leak on Fairbanks Road just east of Chipping Park Blvd.
Workers were removing a post and struck a gas line.
The road was closed off and one house was evacuated while repairs were made.
On one of the hottest days of the year, Cobourg Fire Department also responded to a possible structure fire which turned out to be burned toast on Alexandria Drive.
Alnwick/Haldimand Township Fire Department responded to a collision on County Road 2 west of Grafton and a possible grass fire which turned out to be a controlled burn.
Cramahe Township Fire Department responded to a vehicle fire on Highway 401 which was actually a transport truck. When they arrived on scene the fire for the most part was extinguished.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

OPG’s Drone Unit Takes Part In Port Hope Mock Emergency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DEA5vQJtU A specialized drone unit from Ontario Power Generation was one of the agencies taking part in the mock exercise

Read More...

Albert Street Bus Terminal in Cobourg Damaged – Again

One of the washrooms at the bus terminal in Cobourg will be closed until repairs can be made after

Read More...

Cougars Sitting Near Top of OJHL Standings

By Jeff Gard/Today's Northumberland While the Cobourg Cougars currently sit seventh in points in the Ontario Junior Hockey League standings,

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu

Terms | Privacy |