Breaking News – Police Investigating Bomb Threats at Nine Halton Schools Following Similar Cobourg Incidents

In Police Blotter

(Today’s Northumberland file photo)

It remains unknown if a series of bomb threats targeting schools in the Halton Region on Thursday morning are connected to similar threats previously made against schools and businesses in Cobourg earlier this year.

Halton Regional Police Service are investigating after nine schools across Oakville were targeted by bomb threats on Thursday, May 7, 2026.

Police said officers began responding shortly after approximately 6 a.m. after a generic threatening email was received by multiple school boards. The email identified several schools as targets.

The schools impacted included institutions within both the Halton District School Board and the Halton Catholic District School Board, along with a private school.

Schools named in the threat included:

Halton District School Board

  • Oakville Trafalgar High School
  • Iroquois Ridge High School
  • Abbey Park High School
  • White Oaks Secondary School
  • Garth Webb Secondary School

Halton Catholic District School Board

  • Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School
  • St. Ignatius of Loyola Catholic Secondary School
  • St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Secondary School

Private School

  • Appleby College

Police said emergency response protocols were immediately enacted and officers conducted extensive searches at all of the schools identified in the email.

Following the searches, investigators confirmed that no explosive devices or credible threats were located.

The incidents bear similarities to a number of threats and swatting calls reported in Cobourg during April.

At that time, Cobourg Police Service investigated threats directed toward St. Mary Catholic Secondary School and C.R. Gummow Public School.

Cobourg Police described the incidents as swatting calls — false reports intended to trigger large emergency responses by police and other first responders.

Investigators in Cobourg later revealed that over a 10-day period there had also been numerous swatting incidents involving residences and businesses throughout the community.

Police stated at the time that investigators believed the incidents were linked to online exploitation and extortion schemes involving youth. According to investigators, the activity was believed to originate through interactions on social media platforms, online gaming services, and chat applications.

Cobourg Police also indicated investigators believed the source of those threats was overseas.

At this time, investigators in Halton Region have not publicly confirmed whether Thursday’s threats are connected to the incidents previously reported in Cobourg or elsewhere in Ontario.

Police continue to investigate the source of the threatening email.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Smile Cookie Campaign Raises Nearly $140,00 for Five Counties Children’s Centre and Peterborough Humane Society

There is a lot to smile about, as the local Smile Cookie Campaign has reached a new fundraising milestone

Read More...

Celebrate Paramedic Services Week at Upcoming Community Event

(Today's Northumberland file photo) During Paramedic Services Week, May 17 – 23, Northumberland Paramedics are proud to recognize the dedication

Read More...

Government of Canada to Procure New Aircraft for the Iconic Canadian Forces Snowbirds

(Today's Northumberland file photo) The Honourable David J. McGuinty, Minister of National Defence, announced today a commitment to purchase a

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu