Today’s Northumberland got a first hand look at a building in downtown Cobourg that appears its being used by the homeless.
With homelessness a factor in every community, people are looking for anywhere to sleep.
Temperatures were expected to dip to -16 Celsius on Friday, February 17, 2023.
In Cobourg, it’s unknown if there are any spare spaces at Transition House which can accommodate up to 18 people, but Northumberland County has stated previously there are approximately 80 people in Cobourg that are homeless.
The building has been secured several times before, but people keep breaking in for shelter.
In area’s of the building it appears at least one person, if not more has been staying inside the building that is without water or hydro.
Searching through the building, an extension cord travels from the area people are sleeping to a neighbouring building that has power.
Inside the building there are many signs of drug paraphernalia, many candles, electric heaters and Naloxone kits.
Showing photos to Fire Chief Ellard Beaven he said the building is “extremely dangerous.”
“A total of 133 people died in residential fires,” said Beaven.
“They are homes you would expect people in. Not abandoned buildings.”
“This is extremely dangerous. Not only for the people occupying the space, but for everyone else including neighbouring buildings.”
Ellard issued a warning that if the owner of any building knows it is being occupied illegally, “the liability is on them.”
The building will be secured as quickly as possible.