Contact North demonstrates virtual reality training to local businesses and community organizations at open house
Free October 27 event highlights how virtual reality can enhance the training experience for workers and online learners
(Cobourg) – Contact North | Contact Nord’s online learning centre in Cobourg is offering free virtual reality demos to help local businesses and community organizations improve their teams’ performance — and to help local learners prepare to go after the jobs they want.
The October 27 open house showcases the limitless possibilities of virtual reality to meet various training needs, and encourages visitors to demo one or more of these VR applications:
· MeetinVR – Meetings with human interaction
· RISE – Interactive construction awareness training
· Body Swaps – Soft-skills training to hone communication, teamwork and leadership skills
· Immersive Link – Custom VR solutions and Indigenous engagement specialists
· PIXO – VR training for emergency protocols, disaster preparedness and more
“This open house is an excellent opportunity to showcase our virtual reality technology,” says Wendy Somerville, Director, Recruitment & Partnerships for Contact North | Contact Nord’s Southeast Region.
“The VR platforms allow students to experience a fully immersive environment, whether they are sampling the trades, preparing for a job interview or practising their communication or teamwork skills.”
Adds Education & Training Advisor Chloe Craig: “I am passionate about seeing our communities grow and thrive, and I think some of the opportunities virtual reality brings to the table will be a great asset to our community, residents and businesses.”
Craig says the BodySwaps demo, in particular, is a great way for people to see and hear how they come across in a mock interview, and to get the confidence they need going into the real thing. She also says the opportunity to practice a skill in a safe environment is a great asset for workers given that risk is a factor in so many jobs. Cobourg is one of 78 Contact North | Contact Nord online learning centres across Ontario that helps residents get their degree, diploma or certificate or upgrade their skills without leaving their community.
In addition to free VR demos, learners can access a wide range of other free services, both in person and virtually, including:
· Information on online programs and courses from 24 public colleges, 25 public universities, 9 Indigenous institutes, 76 district school boards, 200 literacy and basic skills providers, and 20 skills development training providers
· Help to register, and information on financial aid
· Study Online Successfully service
· Technology Support Services
o IT Technical Hotline
o Student Technology Service (free use of laptops and Internet)
o Use of computers and Internet
o Use of web conferencing platforms
· Supervision of exams and tests