One firefighter was taken to hospital suffering from heat exhaustion while battling a brush fire in Cramahe Township on Sunday, June 13, 2021.
Cramahe Township firefighters originally received the call as a structure fire on Parliament Street south of Purdy Road shortly before 2 p.m.
“But when we arrived on scene, we had a large grass fire involving a few vehicles and the fire was approaching some of the structures,” said Cramahe Deputy Fire Chief Matt Halmasy.
“It was a very difficult fire for us to get under control initially.”
Brighton and Trent Hills Fire Departments were called for assistance.
“We had about three or four different areas to try and attack at the same time. It was very difficult getting around all the vehicle and equipment to get the hose lines in place.”
Amongst items in the area of the fire were a number of vehicles, camper trailers, lawnmowers, mattresses, propane cylinders, tires and three large barn type structures.
Halmasy said the heat was also a factor for firefighters. One firefighter was transported to hospital suffering from possible heat exhaustion.
“We were very lucky in a lot of aspects because it was getting close to the house, it was getting close to two barn structures, but the guys/gals were able to get the water on it quick enough to save those structures.”
“Through the fast work of the firefighters we were able to get it knocked down before it went into the buildings.”
It’s believed the fire was started from a unattended burn barrel which ignited the vegetation around it.