Cobourg Will Replace Two Lifeguard Stations

In City Hall

Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Council has approved the constuction of two new lifeguard stations by Sa-wat-ski Concept Realty in the amount of $24,200 (plus $370 in nonrefundable GST) at the Cobourg beach.
Councillor Brian Darling explained Monday that $12,000 of this cost is to come from the 2018 parks operating budget and the remainder from the Waterfront Master Plan surplus fund.
“It’s something we desperately needed down there,” Mayor Gil Brocanier commented.
Director of recreation and culture Dean Hustwick said they had hoped to get it done by the Canada Day weekend, “but that’s starting to come really fast, so I can’t commit to that.
“Certainly before mid-July and, if everything goes well, possibly by July 1 weekend.”
Councillor Forrest Rowden pointed out that there are four stations currently on the beach, and wondered if two were being added or whether the new ones are replacing the two that sustained flood damage last year.
They are replacements, he was told, and a much more advanced model than the ones already in place.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Video – Cobourg Woman Says She Feels Like a Prisoner After Accessible Entrance Damaged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPqw-e_cf0 A Cobourg woman confined to a wheelchair says she has been effectively trapped inside her apartment for nearly three

Read More...

Belleville Police – Belleville Man Charged Misuse of 911 System (No Name Released)

On August 18, 2026, Belleville Police received more than 10 non-emergency 911 calls from the same male. The individual

Read More...

Breaking News – OPP Locate Missing Aircraft in Kawartha Lakes; Pilot Found Deceased

The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) can confirm that the pilot who was reported missing after failing to return to

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu