Update – Management Responds to Concerns Over Accessibility at 86 Munroe Street

In Local

Management at 86 Munroe Street has responded to concerns raised by residents about construction at the building’s main entrance, including the case of a resident who was unable to leave her apartment because of the ongoing work.

In a statement provided to Today’s Northumberland, Andy Bicanic, on behalf of management, acknowledged the situation and said the company accepts responsibility.

“We were concerned to learn that a resident was unable to leave her home due to construction at the building’s main entrance. No resident should be in that position, and we take full responsibility for it,” Bicanic said.

Management said it has since spoken directly with the resident and offered hotel accommodation while the entrance repairs are completed.

According to Bicanic, residents have been provided with updates about the work, including during a resident meeting held August 13. A security guard has also been hired to assist residents who require help using the temporary entrance.

The repair has taken considerably longer than initially anticipated.

Bicanic said insurance reviews and contractor delays contributed to the extended timeline, but those issues have now been resolved.

“The replacement doors have been ordered,” he said.

As of August 18, management had been advised that delivery of the doors was expected within four to six weeks. Installation is expected to take place within a few days of delivery.

Management acknowledged that residents have already waited too long and said the work will be completed as quickly as possible once the replacement doors arrive.

The situation has also prompted management to reconsider how accessibility concerns are communicated.

“This situation has also shown us that scheduled updates aren’t enough,” Bicanic said. “Residents need a fast, direct way to flag accessibility concerns as they arise, and we’re putting that in place.”

Residents who have concerns about accessing the building are encouraged to contact Barb or Roxanne at Granite Property Management at 905-372-4420 or rentaladmin@granitecobourg.ca.

The management response comes after concerns were raised about the impact of the entrance construction on residents, particularly those with mobility and accessibility needs.

Video – Cobourg Woman Says She Feels Like a Prisoner After Accessible Entrance Damaged

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Video – Photo Gallery – Northumberland OPP Hosts Summer Camp Youth Day Focused on Learning, Trust and Community Connections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L3-ZEghhhw About 65 children from the Township of Hamilton Summer Camp spent the day with local first responders on August

Read More...

Video – Photo Gallery – YMCA Strong Kids Duathlon Brings More Than 115 Young Athletes to Cobourg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgzwaSj_Gjo&t=34s Centennial Pool was filled with energy, encouragement and plenty of smiles Thursday as more than 115 young athletes took

Read More...

Northumberland OPP – Inmate Charged with Assault at Warkworth Institution

The Northumberland Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) is investigating an assault that occurred at a correctional facility

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu