A family of five is homeless after fire enveloped the home just 10 days before Christmas.
At approximately 9:30 a.m. on Friday, December 15, 2023, Cramahe Township Fire Department were dispatched to Lake Road for a structure fire.
A person passing by spotted the fire and said at that point there was a lot of smoke coming out the window.
Cramahe Township Fire Chief Matt Halmasy was first to arrive and said the fire had blown out the first floor window.
“It quickly extended up the second floor and into the attic. We were in a defensive attack when we got here.”
Halmasy said because the first was so well involved on the inside moments after he arrived the two-storey home was fully engulfed in flames.
The fire travelled through the home extremely fast with walls collapsing within minutes.
Brighton Fire Department were also called for assistance.
At one point flying embers caused a grass fire behind the home.
The couple, Nick Chafe and Jaclyn Harper along with their three children ages 10, 8 and 3 weren’t home at the time of the fire.
The damage is estimated at $800,000 and although officials couldn’t determine a origin, they have deemed the fire not suspicious.
If anyone would like to drop off kids clothes or toys at 26 Elgin Street West until next Thursday the sizes are:
Pickup is also available by calling or texting 613-438-8570