Emergency services treated two people who suffered drug poisoning in downtown Cobourg on Friday, August 4, 2023.
One of the persons treated by paramedics was at Henley Arcade which has been the site of a group called Tweak Easy which set’s up at the rear of tunnel for the past several weeks from approximately 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. every Friday night.
The first overdose happened around 6 p.m. at Rotary Harbourfront Park, just north of the Esplanade.
Witnesses stated to Today’s Northumberland that a municipal by-law officer had responded because a person was setting up a tent beside the creek.
The witness saw the officer arrive, then heard screaming and the by-law officer went to the area of the creek and located a unresponsive woman.
A number of Narcan were administered, and the by-law officer performed CPR for several minutes.
The woman was revived, but refused medial treatment by paramedics. The bylaw officer was taken to hospital suffering from exhaustion, but was released later in the evening.
When Today’s Northumberland arrived, there were two ambulances, one supervisor, two police cruisers on scene along with the by-law officers truck.
(It also should be noted between 6:05 p.m. and 6:15 p.m. two other emergency medial calls were dispatched and along with paramedics, members of the Cobourg Fire Department were called)
Northumberland County Paramedics also responded to what was believed to be a drug poisoning behind Henley Arcade.
At approximately 10:30 p.m. paramedics arrived to treat a person that was part of the group that congregates in the area every Friday night.
Missy McLean who is head of the local organization called Tweak Easy spoke to Today’s Northumberland at the incident.
(Because of the distance McLean was speaking from it was hard hearing what she stated)
“So this is what it looks like when the community takes care of each other,” said McLean.
“When we see someone needs medical help, we call for medical help.”
McLean said they are trained for medical help, but, “this is a person who doesn’t have anywhere safe to go.”
“Our policy is at the end of our time together, if the person doesn’t have a person to stay with or a safe place to go and are not able to be left alone – we call for help.”
McLean said this person wasn’t able to be left alone because they are a “vulnerable person.”
But she didn’t know whether the person had ingested any illegal drugs.
Today’s Northumberland asked specifically because the site has been known for allowing people to ingest illegal narcotics – is that what took place?
“I don’t know.”
McLean said they can’t stay with everyone the entire night, “so this is what we do.”