Cobourg Council – Mayor Hopes for Better VIA Service

In City Hall

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Via service to Toronto that will serve local people who wish to work in the GTA while living in Northumberland County may be improving, Mayor John Henderson said at this week’s council meeting.

Henderson cautioned that he is still trying to confirm the news on behalf of the municipalities between Toronto and Quinte West that are working on the same goal – but he understands that Via will be using Train 41 as a fall-back to Train 651.

Unfortunately, he added, its departure from Cobourg is 8:51 a.m. With arrival in Toronto shortly after 10 a.m.

“And again on the way back home, Train 54 departs Toronto at 17:32, which is about 5:32, and doesn’t arrive back until 18:41,” the mayor continued.

“Based on this, I am working with Mayor Bob Sanderson (of Port Hope) to write another joint letter,” he said.

“It’s a stepping stone not only for Cobourg and Port Hope but for Northumberland County, but again – in my personal opinion – it doesn’t address that early-morning train that everybody is so dependent upon. We will continue to work with our citizens and those who are voicing their concerns, and just hope for better things. And maybe for Via’s consideration, because we have so many who, in the past, have looked forward to that 7 o’clock train that goes to Toronto and the GTA area.”

Cecilia Nasmith
Author: Cecilia Nasmith

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Cobourg Police – Oshawa Man Faces Theft Charge (No Name Released)

A 31-year-old Oshawa man is facing charges following a theft investigation earlier this year. On Friday, January 9, 2026, police

Read More...

Cobourg Police – Event Photographer Charged at Cobourg Community Centre with Sexual Assault (Name Released)

A 65-year-old Ajax man has been arrested in a sexual assault investigation. On May 3, 2026, the Cobourg Police Service

Read More...

Victoria Park Canteen Fenced Off Ahead of Accessible Washroom Renovation Project

Fencing has been installed around the former canteen building in Victoria Park as preparations get underway for a long-planned

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu