A man was arrested for perjury, and a woman is wanted on warrant after providing false information.
On September 23, 2021, a man appeared in the Ontario Court of Justice in Lindsay, Ontario to act as a surety for an accused woman seeking bail.
While under oath, the man indicated he knew the accused woman and identified himself with what appeared to be a genuine Ontario Photo Driver’s Licence bearing his likeness in the name of Greg CHAMBERS.
The man also provided a false address and work information to the court, indicating that he and the accused had known each other for many years. The accused woman agreed under oath with the information the man provided to the courts.
Based on the information provided, the man satisfied the required conditions, was deemed a suitable surety, and the woman was released. After the release, police grew suspicious of the man’s real identity and connection to the woman he was acting as surety for.
The Cobourg Police Service Criminal Investigations Branch commenced an investigation. The investigation revealed that the man used a fraudulent Ontario Driver’s licence and provided false information to the courts. A warrant in the first was granted for both the man and woman.
On November 24, 2021, with the assistance of the Toronto Police Service, 31-year-old, Jonathon DEAMARAL of Toronto was arrested and charged with the following offences:
1. Perjury – contrary to section 131 of the Criminal Code
2. Possession of identity documents – contrary to section 56.1(1) of the Criminal Code
3. Conspiracy to commit indictable offence – contrary to section 465(1)(c) of the Criminal Code
4. Obstruct Justice – contrary to section 139(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
5. Acknowledging Instrument in False Name – contrary to section 405 of the Criminal Code
6. Using a forged document – contrary to section 368 of the Criminal Code
7. Possess Property Obtained by Crime – contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
8. Fail to Comply with Undertaking – contrary to section 145(4) of the Criminal Code
9. Fail to Comply with Release Order – contrary to section 145(5) of the Criminal Code X2
10. Fail to Comply with Probation – contrary to section 733.1(1) of the Criminal Code
DEAMARAL was held pending a show cause bail hearing scheduled for November 25, 2021.
A warrant in the first for 36-year-old Stacey Lynn WATSON of Northumberland County currently exists for charges relating to her bail process, including perjury.