HKPR Health Unit – Flu Vaccinations Off to a Good Start

In Local

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Haliburton Kawartha Pine Ridge District Health Unit Medical Officer of Health Dr. Natalie Bocking expressed optimism about the upcoming flu season as she addressed the November Board of Health meeting.

“The Universal Influenza Immunization Program has been launched and is rolling out across the province, largely offered through pharmacies and primary care, but somewhat co-ordinated through the health unit,” Dr. Bocking said.

Immunization clinics are being offered for children under the age of five who do not have primary health-care providers, and pharmacies can offer vaccinations for children as young as two years of age.

“To date, there are nine cases in Ontario identified in this season so far, and no outbreaks. I think we are still hopeful that we will not see as many cases a we typically see in an influenza season, but we should expect we will see a higher number than we did last year when there was essentially no influenza – certainly in our jurisdiction, and very minimal in the province.”

Also of concern are the respiratory viruses whose incidence also rises in the winter and spread easily in such congregate settings as day cares and long-term-care homes. Dr. Bocking said there are currently two outbreaks of that in the HKPR jurisdiction.

“It’s not as resource-intensive as COVID-19 or influenza outbreaks, but still results in some disruptions to services and programming at those facilities.”

Cecilia Nasmith
Author: Cecilia Nasmith

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Update – Video – Northumberland OPP Continue to Investigate Suspicious Death in Municipality of Port Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crD5b-Z0EI Northumberland OPP continue to investigate the cause of death of a person who was located at a Municipality of

Read More...

Video – After Three Months Plaque Honouring Royal Visit in Cobourg Finally Removed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4eRg1KIt4 Three months after Cobourg Council approved a notice of motion a plaque to remove a plaque commemorating the visit

Read More...

Peterborough Police – Peterborough Man Charged with Assault

A 56- year-old Peterborough man is facing a charge in connection with an incident last Wednesday. At approximately 11:00am on

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu