Cobourg Council – Cobourg Observes PRIDE Month

In City Hall

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
June is Pride Month in Cobourg, and the Rainbow Crosswalk at the north end of Second Street is back for a second year.

A motion council passed Monday made it officially an annual event “unless otherwise terminated by council.”

Last year’s unveiling of the Pride Crosswalk featured a line-up of councillors walking across the street on it in single-file Abbey Road style. This year’s unveiling was on a different scale with such COVID-19 precautions as social distancing in place, but Councillor Adam Bureau was optimistic.

“I know next year we’ll get back to normal,” he said.

Bureau pointed out that COVID-19 had brought another change with its cancellation of regular school classes and the effect on young people in the LGBTQ community.

“A lot of students are going through a rough time right now with coming out or feeling safe,” he said.

“School was a big part of that. A lot of kids now don’t have that so, if there’s anything we can do, call PFLAG or the Queer Collective – they are always there to help.”

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Update – Video – Northumberland OPP Continue to Investigate Suspicious Death in Municipality of Port Hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-crD5b-Z0EI Northumberland OPP continue to investigate the cause of death of a person who was located at a Municipality of

Read More...

Video – After Three Months Plaque Honouring Royal Visit in Cobourg Finally Removed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4eRg1KIt4 Three months after Cobourg Council approved a notice of motion a plaque to remove a plaque commemorating the visit

Read More...

Peterborough Police – Peterborough Man Charged with Assault

A 56- year-old Peterborough man is facing a charge in connection with an incident last Wednesday. At approximately 11:00am on

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu