No Green Canoe On the Beach This Year

In City Hall

Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Green Canoe Outfitters has withdrawn its request to operate a beachfront kayak and stand-up paddleboard rental service this summer.

The request had only come in within the last few weeks, Cobourg Councillor Emily Chorley pointed out at this week’s committee-of-the-whole meeting, and there had not been sufficient time for the company to come to an agreement with the parties involved to minimize risk.

Concerns expressed by YMCA Northumberland and the town’s emergency planner remained unaddressed.

Council’s motion was to receive the information presented and respectfully thank Bart Spiewak of Green Canoe Outfitters for his presentation.

Lydia Smith noted that no safety concerns for members of the Cobourg Dragon Boat and Canoe Club members had been expressed for their activities in the west harbour.

This may change, director of community services Dean Hustwick said. A safety audit is being conducted for the entire west harbour similar to the one done for the beach area – and that stakeholders are being consulted during this process.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Exclusive – Human Rights Tribunal Upholds $20,000 Award to Former Cobourg Auxiliary Officer Applicant

Amy Arthur says she hopes her experience with the Cobourg Police Service can ultimately help improve how police services

Read More...

Cobourg Police – Incidents Include Breach, Liquor and Drug Offences, Probation and Weapons Offences, Disturbance (No Names Released)

Cobourg Man Charged with Breach Cobourg Police charged a 38-year-old Cobourg man with breaching a release order. On August 16, 2026,

Read More...

Update – Cobourg Police – Suspect Charged After Collision in Cobourg (No Name Released)

A 32-year-old Cobourg man is facing multiple charges following an investigation into a motor vehicle collision in downtown Cobourg. On

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu