What initially came in as a barn fire turned out to be a brush fire for Port Hope firefighters on Sunday, April 22, 2018.
The fire department was dispatched to the area of East Town Line Road and Lakeshore Road at approximately 4:45 p.m. but as they were responding information received was that the fire was a brush fire and no buildings were involved.
Fire Chief C. Ryan Edgar said the brush fire was approximately 100 metres by 50 metres in size.
Two people were assessed by Northumberland County Paramedics for smoke inhalation but were not transported.
“One of the two that tried to help extinguish the fire was administered oxygen, but did not require medical attention.”
Edgar said, “improperly discarded cigarette determined to be the cause of the fire. Charges pending.”