On Wednesday the 3rd of January 2018 at approx. 5:25pm, officers from the Quinte West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) attempted to locate a motor vehicle that had been reported driving in dangerous manner.
The vehicle was located a short time later. As officers exited there police cruisers and approached, the suspect vehicle sped away in an attempt to flee striking one of the OPP officers.
The fleeing suspect vehicle was able to evade police due to poor road conditions and heavy civilian motor vehicle traffic on the roadway. The fleeing suspect vehicle was last seen heading in an east bound direction.
The suspect vehicle was located a short time later abandoned on the shoulder of the east bound lanes of the 401 just west of Napanee. A search of the area was conducted by K9 and Emergency Response Team (ERT) members with negative results.
The suspect vehicle is described as a Black Pontiac G5 bearing Ontario Licence Plates BYYJ 064.
The officer was treated for minor leg injuries.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Quinte West OPP at 613-392-3561 or should you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477(TIPS), where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.
Quinte West OPP have issued a warrant for the arrest of a male identified as the driver of the motor vehicle that struck an OPP officer and fled the scene.
On the 8th of February 2018 police arrested 38 year old Ryan MILLAR, of Quinte West.
MILLAR was charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, section 249(1)(a) Criminal Code
- Flight While Being Pursued by Police, section 249.1(1) Criminal Code
- Fail to Comply with Undertaking x 2, section 145(5.1) Criminal Code
- Assault Police Officer with a Weapon, section 270.01(1)(a) Criminal Code
- MILLAR’s next appearance is by video remand on the 15th of February 2018 at the Ontario Court of Justice, Belleville, ON.