Infrastructure Ontario Takes A Different Tone than Town of Cobourg Regarding Encampment

In Local

It appears even though the Town of Cobourg is allowing a wood stove at the encampment at the former Brookside Youth Centre, Infrastructure Ontario who controls the facility says heating devices of any sort are not permitted.

Last week Cobourg Fire Department did a routine inspection of the site and found there was open air burning and a wood stove in one of the tents at the encampment.

Town official confirmed because of a by-law there is no open air burning allowed.

But the wood stove is different.

Fire Chief Ellard Beaven said as long as it comply’s with the manufacturer’s recommendations Cobourg will allow it stating, “it (tent) is intended for a wood stove. It’s a tent that can be utilized for all four seasons, so we’re restricted and we don’t have the ability under the Fire Code to remove it.”

But a brief e-mail from Infrastructure Ontario states, “enhanced security measures are in place to ensure safety.”

“Heating devices of any sort are not permitted on the property.”

Adding, “IO continues to work closely with the Town of Cobourg, Northumberland County and the local police and fire departments. Any safety or security concerns should be immediately directed to the appropriate authorities.”

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Cobourg Police – Oshawa Man Faces Theft Charge (No Name Released)

A 31-year-old Oshawa man is facing charges following a theft investigation earlier this year. On Friday, January 9, 2026, police

Read More...

Cobourg Police – Event Photographer Charged at Cobourg Community Centre with Sexual Assault (Name Released)

A 65-year-old Ajax man has been arrested in a sexual assault investigation. On May 3, 2026, the Cobourg Police Service

Read More...

Victoria Park Canteen Fenced Off Ahead of Accessible Washroom Renovation Project

Fencing has been installed around the former canteen building in Victoria Park as preparations get underway for a long-planned

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu