Peterborough Police – Utter Threats, Hate Crime Arrest (Name Released)

In Police Blotter

Utter Threats – Hate Crime Arrest

A 50-year-old Peterborough man is facing several charges in connection with a series of online threats.

In early August, the Peterborough Police Service was made aware of a series of online threats toward several Peterborough residents. As a result of the investigation, officers with the Major Crime Unit requested and were granted a search warrant for a Peterborough residence.

On Thursday, August 13, 2026, officers executed the search warrant and took a Peterborough man into custody.

As a result of the investigation, 50-year-old Kevin Goudreau of Peterborough was charged with:

Utter Threats Cause Death or Bodily Harm – Motivated by Hatred X2
Utter Threats Cause Death or Bodily Harm X2
Fail to comply with Probation Order X5
The accused is currently bound three probation orders with the following conditions: to keep the peace and be of good behaviour and to not post any information about two of the victims in this case.

The accused will make another court appearance today August 18, 2026.

Two of the online posts in this case were determined to be motivated by hatred. This is the first time the Peterborough Police Service has laid charges under the new federal hate crime laws.

 

Hate/Bias Incident

In recent days, the Peterborough Police Service has been made aware of posters from the Dominion Society of Canada. These posters have surfaced in the area of Douro Street and Rotary Trail and speak to the groups’ stance on immigration that includes remigration. The reports have been taken in as information.

While the Peterborough Police Service understand the presence of the posters is controversial and many may not agree with the policy stance of this group, at this time the presence of the posters does not rise to the level of being a hate crime.

That said, the Peterborough Police Service is interested in being made aware of hate bias incidents. We thank the residents who have brought these to our attention. Residents can report such incidents through the online reporting portal at www.peterboroughpolice.ca/online-reporting-portal

“There is no room for hate in our community at any time,” says Stuart Betts, Chief of Police, Peterborough Police Service. “The number one goal of the Peterborough Police Service is public safety, and the Service is committed to this goal. In this instance, what we are seeing does not rise to the level of criminality. There are currently laws within the criminal code that can assist and lead to charges. As the community has seen, most recently last week (August 13) when a Peterborough resident was arrested and charged for online comments, when grounds for charges exist, the Peterborough Police Service will apply them.”

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Ontario Connecting 600,000 More People to a Family Doctor or Primary Care Team

Next call for proposals will open September 2026 as part of the province’s $3.4 billion plan to connect every

Read More...

Exclusive – ‘No Plane Has Been Found’: OPP Corrects Report on Missing Pilot Search

The search for a 73-year-old pilot who disappeared after leaving Oshawa Airport Friday morning has now been turned over

Read More...

Ontario E-Scooter Pilot Comes With Strict Rules for Municipalities

Ontario municipalities considering allowing electric kick-style scooters on local roads have been given a detailed framework outlining the rules,

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu