Cobourg Cannot Control Encampment on Provincial Land

In City Hall

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Cobourg Mayor Lucas Cleveland said at Monday’s council meeting that he is constantly approached with questions about the homeless encampment at the Brookside Youth Centre on King Street, which closed two and a half years ago.

Cleveland said he can’t always provide the information they want, since this was a provincial facility and the land is now under the purview of Infrastructure Ontario.

Since the encampments set up at Cobourg’s West Beach in August, they subsequently moved to county property at 600 William Street and have now gone on to this provincial property.

While the town has no control over the fact of the encampment, the mayor said, he urges anyone with safety concerns (for things like fire and crime) to call the Cobourg Police.

Cleveland also shared the latest news – that a temporary order to vacate had been issued to allow a clean-up of the site, requesting the support of the Cobourg police.

Cecilia Nasmith
Author: Cecilia Nasmith

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Cobourg Police – Public Press Conference Rescheduled

The Cobourg Police Service would like to inform the media and public that due to unforeseen circumstances the press

Read More...

Cobourg Police – Investigating Suspicious Fire

Cobourg Police Service is investigating after responding to a fire early Thursday morning. On August 20, 2026, at approximately 3:15

Read More...

Cobourg Police – Bewdley Man Facing Multiple Charges After Driving Gas-Powered Scooter (No Name Released)

A Bewdley man is facing multiple charges after police conducted a traffic stop on Wednesday. On August 19, 2026, at

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu