A town house unit was destroyed by fire on Saturday, September 23, 2023 in Cobourg.
At approximately 9:40 a.m. Cobourg Fire Department responded to 463 Burnett Drive in a townhouse area for reports of a structure fire.
When crews arrived on scene, thick black smoke was coming from the front door and flames were shooting out of the back windows of the residence.
The occupants of the home had left a short time earlier and no one was at home at the time of the fire.
While fire crews were battling the fire, the occupants arrived home to find their residence engulfed in flames.
The unit was destroyed by the fire and a number of pets perished in the blaze.
The fire was deemed accidental and the area of origin was in the kitchen.