The Municipality of Port Hope is gearing up for its annual Canada Day celebrations with events taking place throughout the community.
“Canada Day is an anticipated event for many in our community and is a great way to kick-off the summer in Port Hope,” notes Olena Hankivsky, Mayor of the Municipality of Port Hope. “It is wonderful to see the community come together and fill our downtown streets, businesses, and parks.”
Weekend activities include many of the traditional favourites such as the Canada Day parade, party in the park, wagon rides, fireworks show, and live music.
“On July 1, it is also important to reflect on the origins of our land and the heritage and culture of First Nation, Inuit and Métis peoples who have shaped our country,” continues Mayor Hankvisky. “Recognizing that Canada Day is not a celebration for all in our country, I encourage everyone to take some time to pause and reflect on our Country, its origins and the work that can be done – together – around Truth and Reconciliation.”
Highlights of 2023 Port Hope Canada Day activities include:
Friday, June 30
Dusk: The Canada Day edition of ‘Movies in the Park’ will feature a wild classic: Jumanji – the original from 1995! Bring your blankets and lawn chairs and join us under the stars at Memorial Park for this family friendly experience. Free Admission.
Friday, July 1
• 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Canada Day Show N’ Shine car show, featuring antiques, classics, and custom vehicles on the front lawn of Town Hall
• 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Yoga in the Park. A guided stretch-out on the back lawn of Town Hall.
• 11:00 a.m. Canada Day Parade – from Walton Street and Queen Street. Register to join the parade line-up.
• 11:00 a.m. Refreshment Gardens Open in Memorial Park, hosted by Port Hope and District Agricultural Society.
• 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Activity stations and food vendors available in Memorial Park.
• 11:45 a.m. Official opening ceremony at the Bandshell – Singing of O Canada, welcome greeting from the Mayor, and Queenies cupcakes.
• 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Wagon rides through historic downtown Port Hope. Pickup location is on Queen Street Entertainment in Memorial Park
• 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. – Brian Bracken
• 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Marty & the Mojos
• 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – S.O.N.G. Coffee House
• 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. – Port Hope Beats Drum Circle
• 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – The Buzz
• 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. – Storm the Palace
Grand finale fireworks display
• 10:15 p.m. Spectacular fireworks display launched at the pier
Our partners and sponsors play a key role in uniting our community for shared and engaging experiences on Canada Day. Many generous supporters have come forward to help in the delivery of this community celebration. To view the list of sponsors and for the full event schedule, visit porthope.ca/Canada-day.