Cobourg man charged with drug trafficking after police conduct traffic stop.
On Monday, January 2, 2023, at 9:10 p.m., police on general patrol conducted a traffic stop on D’Arcy Street.
Police learned the driver was wanted on warrant by another police service and is currently on a weapons prohibition order and probation order.
The driver was arrested. During the arrest, police located a prohibited knife in his possession. Illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, cellphones, Canadian currency, a second prohibited knife, and a pellet gun with pellets were located in the vehicle. In addition, police discovered antiques and break-in instruments.
As a result of the police investigation, Cody Puffer (33) of Cobourg was charged with the following offences:
1) Two counts of Possession of a Prohibited Device, contrary to section 92(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC)
2) Possession of Imitation Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 CCC
3) Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition contrary to Prohibition order, section 117.01(1) CCC
4) Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking- Fentanyl, contrary to section 5(2) of Controlled Drugs and Substance Act (CDSA)
5) Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking- Cocaine, contrary to section 5(2) CDSA
6) Possession of a Schedule 1 Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking- Hydromorphone, contrary to section 5(2) CDSA
7) Possession of Proceeds of Property Obtained by crime under $5000, contrary to section 354(1)(a)CCC
8) Possession of Property Obtained by crime under $5000, contrary to section 355(a) CCC
9) Possession of Break in Instruments, contrary to section 351(1) CCC
10) Breach of probation, contrary to section 733.1(1) CCC
The accused was released on an undertaking with a future court date (February 8, 2023) and turned over to the police service with the warrant