St Catherines man faces charges after police are called to a theft in progress at a local business.
On Wednesday, November 16, 2022, at 6:45 p.m., police were called to a business in the north end of Cobourg for a report of theft in progress. Police were advised an unknown male left the store with unpaid merchandise.
Police located a man matching the description provided a short distance away.
As a result of police investigation, the 31-year-old St. Catharines man was arrested. Upon arrest, police located a utility knife, a collapsible baton, a flick knife, and suspected oxycodone pills. He was charged with the following offences:
1. Theft Under $5,000 – contrary to section 334(b) of the Criminal Code of Canada (CCC)
2. Possession Under $5,000 – contrary to section 355(b) of the CCC
3. Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose – contrary to section 88 of the CCC
4. Possession of a Prohibited Weapon – contrary to section 92(2) of the CCC
5. Possession of a Controlled Substance to wit Oxycodone – contrary to section 4(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
6. Two counts of Fail to Comply with Release Order – contrary to section 145(5)(a) of the CCC
7. Fail to Comply with Probation – contrary to section 733.1(1) of the CCC
The accused was held for a bail hearing.