Members of the Peterborough County Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have laid charges in relation to a fatal collision that took place on August 6, 2021.
Peterborough County OPP and emergency crews responded to a motor vehicle collision on August 6, 2021, at approximately 11:00 p.m., on County Road 28 at Ward Street. A pickup truck travelling southbound on County Road 28 was struck when making a left turn onto Ward Street by a southbound car attempting to pass.
Five victims in the car were injured. One victim was pronounced deceased at scene. Two victims were transported to a local hospital and two victims were transported to Toronto-area hospitals. The occupants of the pickup truck were uninjured.
The deceased has been identified as Neil HENLEY (age 19) from Roseneath, Ontario.
County Road 28 was closed for several hours while members trained in collision reconstruction measured and documented the scene.
On November 24, 2021, Hunter SMITH (age 19) of Hamilton Township, Ontario, was arrested and charged with:
• Operation causing death – three counts (The 3 different charges are impaired cause death, BAC above cause death and combination blood/drug cause death. All captured under operation causing death)
• Operation causing bodily harm – six counts
• Flight from peace officer
• Dangerous operation causing death
• Dangerous operation causing bodily harm-two counts
• Driving while under suspension
The accused appeared for a bail hearing before the Ontario Court of Justice in Peterborough, on November 24, 2021.
This investigation is ongoing.