Update – Port Hope Fire – Working Smoke Alarms Would Have Given Victims Time To Escape

In Editor Choice, Local

Exclusive – Investigators have said that if there was a working smoke detector inside the residence where two people were killed on Friday, October 8, 2021 in Port Hope it would have given them enough warning to escape.

The shocking revelation comes after investigators with the Office of the Fire Marshal wrapped up their investigation at the duplex on Bruton Street in Port Hope.

On Friday morning shortly after 11 a.m. Port Hope Fire and Emergency Services were dispatched to the two storey home.

When fire crews arrived heavy smoke and flames were coming from the residence.

Firefighters braved the smoke and flames to rescue two people, but they succumbed to their injuries.

OFM Investigator, Mike Bird said, “the origin of the fire was in the family room on the main floor in the northwest quadrant of the house.”

Bird stated, the smoke alarm in the basement was working properly. The smoke alarm on the main floor was too damaged to determine if it was functioning at the time of the fire.

But the smoke alarm on the second floor was not functioning as the battery had been removed.

The exact cause is still under investigation with a OFM engineer having to do further testing/examination of the items seized.

Hopefully have an answer by the end of the week.

Bird stated “if the alarm on the second floor was operational it would have given the two people up there warning with time to escape.”

“This is a consistent theme of our fatal fires and considering this has been law for so many years and is still happening is a problem.”

If people cannot afford a smoke alarm contact your nearest fire department and they will come and install one free of charge.

The names of the victims and cause of death have not been officially released.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Video – Another Day Without Power in Northumberland for Residents and Businesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fQ4DTdG7c It looks like parts of Northumberland County going into the sixth day without power following last weekends ice storm. Parts

Read More...

Video – VOS Theatre Production of Mary Poppins Drops In to Victoria Hall

(photo gallery) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EH7xMTSKX4 The VOS Theatre production of Mary Poppins kicks off at Victoria Hall tonight. The production takes place from April

Read More...

Peterborough County OPP – Hydro Worker Threatened

A Hydro worker attempting to restore power to the area, was threatened by an upset area resident. On Wednesday April

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu