A cottage was enveloped by flames on Saturday, November 21, 2020 in Alnwick/Haldimand Township.
Fire crews were dispatched to a chimney at 7:49 a.m. to a cottage on Shearer Point Road on Rice Lake near Roseneath.
The caller indicated there was smoke coming from the walls of the residence.
When fire crews arrived on scene the residence was engulfed in flames with fire coming from all sides.
The three occupants make it safely out of the cottage.
The owner told Today’s Northumberland they briefly thought it may have been mice in the walls, but when they heard the crackling and saw light smoke they knew there was a fire. When they looked outside, they could see more smoke coming from the metal roof area.
Fire crews from Hamilton Township and Trent Hills were also called to assist with tankers for shuttling water to the scene.
The fire is believed to have started near the chimney area.
Damage is expected to exceed $275,000.