Cobourg Council – East Pier Presents Safety Hazards

In City Hall

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Though council went through literally hours of debate and deliberation in its decision to fence off the beach, Deputy Mayor Suzanne Seguin pointed out at Monday’s council meeting that some individuals are accessing the beach from the east pier.

It’s an area from which diving and jumping are prohibited by bylaw, and Seguin said she intends to work on an amendment that would prohibit any access to the lake from the east pier and prohibit walking on the rocks.

“It’s fairly dangerous,” she stated.

“The rocks have lots of moss and they are wet.”

She also shared news from Today’s Northumberland of police escorting a father and son off the east pier from where they had been found – beyond the sign prohibiting access.

“People do that every day, and you actually have to physically go under or over the sign,” she said.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Cobourg Police – Incidents Include, Theft, Fail to Comply,

Theft, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime, Fail to Comply A 31-year-old Cobourg man is facing charges after police responded

Read More...

Video – Cobourg Woman Says She Feels Like a Prisoner After Accessible Entrance Damaged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPqw-e_cf0 A Cobourg woman confined to a wheelchair says she has been effectively trapped inside her apartment for nearly three

Read More...

Belleville Police – Belleville Man Charged Misuse of 911 System (No Name Released)

On August 18, 2026, Belleville Police received more than 10 non-emergency 911 calls from the same male. The individual

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu