A fire that could be seen for over 40 kilometres destroyed a house north of Castleton on Wednesday, June 17, 2020.
Cramahe Township Fire Department received the call for a structure fire at 334 Clarkson Road at 4:30 p.m.
While responding, firefighters could see black smoke near the area of the fire and knew they had a working fire.
When firefighters arrived the home was engulfed in flames.
Cramahe Township Deputy Fire Chief Matt Halmasy when crews arrived, “it was fully involved.”
“There wasn’t much we could do.”
Firefighters immediately called for manpower and tanker support from the neighbouring municipalities of Alnwick/Haldimand Township and Trent Hills.
Three large propane cylinders were at the side of the house.
“They can be quite dangerous when they overheat. We were able to position a hoseline on those tanks to keep them cool and eliminate that problem.”
A neighbour alerted the homeowner the house was on fire and immediately called 9-1-1.
No estimate on damage, but along with the house that burned to the ground, two vehicles and a atv were destroyed.