Thanks to the determination of over 200 property owners, Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority (GRCA) staff, Pineneedle Farms and Brinkman Reforestation Ltd., over 73,000 trees were distributed and planted throughout the GRCA and its member municipalities.
“The distribution of tree and shrub stock, and the planting of them, worked well under a social distancing protocol.” said Pam Lancaster, GRCA Stewardship Technician. “We thank all of our clients and our partners for their support and patience during the tree planting season.”
The typical method of pick-up days was modified to include some client pick-up, but trees and shrubs were mostly delivered to properties by GRCA and Municipal staff. The GRCA full service tree planting program was delivered safely with tree planters, each having their own property or area of property to plant in isolation.
A thank you is also sent out to 2020 funding partners, which included the Highway of Heroes Tree Campaign, Ontario Power Generation, and Forest Ontario. The funds provided by these agencies greatly reduced the client’s cost of trees.
· GRCA Full Service Tree Planting Program
· GRCA Over the Counter Tree and Shrub Seedling Program
· Municipality of Clarington Trees for Rural Roads
· Municipality of Port Hope Trees for Rural Roads
· Northumberland County Emerald Ash Borer Replacement Tree Program
Ongoing funding and support for these programs are made possible by:
· Forest Ontario
· Highway of Heroes Tree Campaign
· Municipality of Clarington
· Municipality of Port Hope
· Northumberland County
· Other GRCA member municipalities