Cobourg Council – Cobourg Will Ponder Indoor Multi-Sport Facility

In City Hall

By Cecilia Nasmith/Northumberland 89.7 FM/Today’s Northumberland
Cobourg staff will prepare a report on the potential for an indoor multi-sport facility, following a presentation at the March council meeting by representatives Ashley O’Connell and Mike Stoter of the Northumberland Soccer Club.

Their ask at this time is to allocate up to $30,000 of previously approved funds to support a third-party feasibility study on the project.

At present, the only indoor turf they can access is a small facility in Baltimore that also services other sports such as lacrosse and rugby, so they are limited in how much time they can get. This puts them at a disadvantage in competition and results in losing players and coaches to Durham Region.

There is the potential for up to 50% of eligible project costs to be covered through the province’s Community Sport and Recreation Infrastructure Fund launched in August.

And there is also the $198,500 the town’s 2021 Development Charges Background Study allocated for an additional soccer pitch and clubhouse.

Port Hope has expressed an interest in a collaborative approach for such a facility, and potential turf partners could include the Cobourg Saxons Rugby Club, Nemesis Lacrosse and Northumberland Jacks Baseball. Other potential uses could be for pickleball, tennis, badminton and Breakers volleyball.

Citing the example of a facility in Pickering, Stoter noted that there were outdoor spaces adjacent to the indoor structure to accommodate volleyball and pickleball – rented out to these groups as a revenue stream. And it could be a tourism and recreation draw for the town.

Cecilia Nasmith
Author: Cecilia Nasmith

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Cobourg Police – Incidents Include, Theft, Fail to Comply,

Theft, Possession of Property Obtained by Crime, Fail to Comply A 31-year-old Cobourg man is facing charges after police responded

Read More...

Video – Cobourg Woman Says She Feels Like a Prisoner After Accessible Entrance Damaged

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoPqw-e_cf0 A Cobourg woman confined to a wheelchair says she has been effectively trapped inside her apartment for nearly three

Read More...

Belleville Police – Belleville Man Charged Misuse of 911 System (No Name Released)

On August 18, 2026, Belleville Police received more than 10 non-emergency 911 calls from the same male. The individual

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu