Ontario Building New Emergency Department in Kawartha Lakes

In Provincial

Expanded emergency department at Ross Memorial Hospital will connect more people to emergency care closer to home

The Ontario government is connecting people in Kawartha Lakes to better, more convenient emergency care by renovating and expanding the emergency department at Ross Memorial Hospital to connect more people to world-class emergency care.

“Our government is addressing demand for emergency care in the Kawartha Lakes region to connect more Ontarians to timely and convenient health care options, close to home,” said Sylvia Jones, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health. “The expansion of Ross Memorial Hospital’s emergency department will allow people and families to continue to access the high-quality care they need, where they need it, for years to come.”

Through this investment, Ross Memorial Hospital’s current emergency department will be renovated and expanded, including the creation of a new, state-of-the-art mental health emergency services unit. This expansion will improve patient safety and ensure the hospital is better equipped to provide timely care for mental health patients. The expansion will also include a new trauma room with improved infection control measures to provide emergency department staff with additional space to treat patients requiring urgent lifesaving care.

As a next step, the ministry is working with Ross Memorial Hospital to complete early planning and design for this project. A construction schedule will be confirmed once future planning is complete and the project is tendered and awarded.

“This investment in the Ross Memorial Emergency Department will provide much-needed support to enhance trauma services and mental health care for our community,” said Laurie Scott, MPP for Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Brock. “The Government is excited to continue uplifting our hospitals and healthcare workers by building on our existing investments to improve the accessibility and quality of care in our province.”

Through Your Health: A Plan For Connected and Convenient Care, Ontario is making it easier and faster for people of all ages to connect to the care they need, closer to home.

Quick Facts

  • Ross Memorial Hospital provides care for over 80,000 local residents and 35,000 seasonal visitors.
  • Over the next 10 years, Ontario’s investments will lead to nearly $50 billion in health infrastructure across the province, building 3,000 new beds in addition to over 3,500 critical care, acute and post-acute beds our government has added since 2020.
  • The Ontario government is investing more than $228 million this year to support critical infrastructure upgrades and repairs at 129 hospitals and 58 community health care facilities across the province, a 10 per cent increase from last year. This includes investing over $2.3 million for window replacements at Ross Memorial Hospital.
Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Video – Another Day Without Power in Northumberland for Residents and Businesses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fQ4DTdG7c It looks like parts of Northumberland County going into the sixth day without power following last weekends ice storm. Parts

Read More...

Video – VOS Theatre Production of Mary Poppins Drops In to Victoria Hall

(photo gallery) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EH7xMTSKX4 The VOS Theatre production of Mary Poppins kicks off at Victoria Hall tonight. The production takes place from April

Read More...

Peterborough County OPP – Hydro Worker Threatened

A Hydro worker attempting to restore power to the area, was threatened by an upset area resident. On Wednesday April

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu