SIU Investigating Death of Man in Lakefield
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 40-year-old man this morning in Lakefield.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- At approximately 1:30 a.m. on December 26, 2023, a woman contacted Peterborough Police Service to report that her son was in distress and was at an apartment on Queen Street in Lakefield.
- Upon arrival, an officer saw the man holding a baseball bat outside of the apartment. The man struck the officer with the bat and re-entered the apartment.
- Additional officers arrived at the scene, and attempts were made to communicate with the man. This was to no avail.
- When officers made the decision to breach the apartment door, they located the man in the kitchen in medical distress.
- Although first aid was provided to the man by officers and emergency medical service personnel, the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to the case.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation, including video or photos, to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 or online at: https://siu.on.ca/en/appeals.php