The Quinte West Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has arrested an individual following an incident on the Murray Canal that involved a firearm.
On August 25, 2023, at approximately 2:30 p.m., Quinte West OPP responded to the canal in Quinte West for a complaint of a firearm being discharged from a boat. It was reported to police that protected w ildlife was being targeted. The vessel left the area prior to police arrival but was located a short time later. During the investigation it was learned that a firearm was thrown into the canal. The OPP’s Underwater Search and Recovery Unit was dispatched to assist in its recovery. An investigation led to a person being arrested.
Leif DAHL, 45 years old from Belleville was charged with the following offences:
- Obstruct peace officer – Criminal Code (CC)
- Careless use of firearm – CC
- Use firearm carelessly to hunt – Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (FWCA)
- Hunt bird without a licence – FWCA
- Unlawfully have a loaded firearm in conveyance – FWCA
The accused was released from custody and is scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Belleville on September 28, 2023. The investigation is still ongoing