In December 2021 police received a report from a Cobourg resident that multiple loans had been taken out in their name from a financial institution without their knowledge or consent. After a lengthy investigation police were able to identify a suspect and as a result a 32-year-old woman from Mississauga was arrested and charged with the following offences:
1) Identity Fraud contrary to section 403(1) of the Criminal Code
2) Make False Statement contrary to section 362 of the Criminal Code
3) Utter Forged Document contrary to section 368(1.1) of the Criminal Code
4) Fraud Under $5000 contrary to section 380(1)(b) of the Criminal Code
5) Possession of Proceeds Obtained by Crime contrary to section 354(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
The woman was released on an Undertaking with an pending court date.