Historic Wildland Fire Season Officially Ends

In Provincial

Today marks the end of this year’s wildland fire season — a season unlike anything this province experienced in over a decade.

With more than 1,000 wildland fires in central and northern Ontario, 2018 was one of the busiest fire seasons in the province’s history. To meet this challenge, the government has so far provided an additional $100 million in funding to successfully combat these blazes and keep Ontarians safe.

“We recognized the real threat these fires posed to the public, and to the communities and private property in the affected areas, and we took action to respond immediately,” said Jeff Yurek, Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry.

Ontario is an internationally recognized leader in wildland fire management. Vital operational support assisted Ontario crews, and those who offered their help from beyond Ontario’s borders. The Minister is grateful for the provinces and territories, Parks Canada, the United States and Mexico who joined the fight against Ontario’s fires.

“This was a challenging season, but I am proud to report, all active fires are officially out thanks to the hard work of our brave frontline crews. Their dedication, courage and perseverance kept affected communities safe, and the Government for the People’s continued commitment and support gave firefighters on the ground and in the air what they needed to get the job done safely and successfully,” Yurek said.

For more information on wildfires, please visit http://www.ontario.ca/forestfires.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Video – Break and Enter at Grafton Convenience Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx72vfNskXk Northumberland OPP are investigating a break and enter at a convenience store in Grafton on May 6, 20226. Shortly before

Read More...

Video – Hundreds of Empty Beer Cans Stolen from Grafton Convenience Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQlLCBwkGao Northumberland OPP are investigating after hundreds of empty beer cans were stolen from a convenience store in Grafton recently. In

Read More...

Celebrate Seniors Month with Silver Screamers and Music and Movement

By Cecilia Nasmith/Today's Northumberland June is Seniors Month and, to mark the occasion, the Community Training and Development Centre and

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu