Operation “Safer Community – Home/Business Safety Audits”
On June 13, 2018, the Cobourg Police Service will be launching a Home/Small Business “C.P.T.E.D.” audit program. The audit is based on the application of proven Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design techniques, commonly known as C.P.T.E.D. (pronounced sep-ted). This program is designed to make your home or small business safer and more secure by reducing crime opportunity found in and around your home.
Upon request, a member of the Cobourg Police Service will attend your home and/or small business free of charge and conduct a C.P.T.E.D. audit. The audit will identify ways that you can improve the safety and security of your home and property by following an easy to read report.
Anyone interested in having an audit conducted is urged to make an appointment.
Contact us by using the form on our website:
Go to the Cobourg Police website ( www.cobourgpolice.com ) and select the “CPTED” link in the “Important Notices” area. This will take you to the request form. Just fill it out and submit.
Call the Cobourg Police Service at 905-372-2681 Ext. 2290 or
The Cobourg Police Service would like to take the opportunity to remind the community of the following tips aimed at preventing crimes related to your property:
· Lock all outside doors and windows before leaving the premise or going to
· Use quality materials and construction for doors, locks, and windows;
· Keep garage doors closed and locked;
· Do not leave ladders on the exterior of the property;
· Use adequate exterior lighting;
· Trim trees and shrubs so they cannot serve as hiding places;
· Never leave keys in a “secret” hiding place on the exterior of the property;
· Ensure the house number is visible from the street;
· Keep a detailed inventory of valuable possessions, including photos or video;
· Consider the use of residential or commercial alarm systems;
· Call 9-1-1 if you see any suspicious neighbourhood activity.