Beer and Cider Now Available at 87 More Grocery Stores – Ontario
Ontario Providing More Convenience and Choice for Consumers
Starting today, 87 more grocery stores across Ontario can sell beer and cider, increasing convenience and choice for consumers.
Across the province, there are now over 350 grocery stores authorized to sell beer and cider, of which up to 70 can also sell wine.
Every additional location for sales creates new opportunities for small beer and cider producers, whose products must represent at least 20 per cent of the beer and 20 per cent of the cider on display in grocery stores.
Ontario maintains a strong commitment to social responsibility. By law, grocers selling beer, cider or wine must have designated sales areas and operate within standard hours of sale, abide by limitations on package size and alcohol content, and meet staffing and social responsibility training requirements.
Ontario’s plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and over 65, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- For a map and list of the authorized grocery stores that sell wine, beer or cider, visit ontario.ca/morechoice. Beer and cider may not be available today at every location. Authorized local grocery stores will have further details.
- The new locations include 11 independent grocery stores and 76 stores owned by large grocers.
- Ultimately, beer and cider will be available in up to 450 grocery stores across Ontario, including 300 that also sell wine.
- Allowing beer, cider and wine in grocery stores implements the recommendations made by the Premier’s Advisory Council on Government Assets. Other recent announcements in beverage alcohol retailing in Ontario include the sale of beer in grocery stores, the sale of cider in grocery stores, the sale of wine in grocery stores, and online shopping at LCBO.com.
- All grocery stores that sell beer, cider and wine must abide by the requirements for the safe sale of alcohol overseen by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.