Date: 26th March, 2018 Time: 6:00 am
Subject: Weekly Media Release
From the 19th of March 2018 through the 25th of March 2018, the Cobourg Police Service responded to 162 occurrences including: 6 Motor Vehicle Collisions, 7 Alarm calls, 7 Theft/Shoplifting calls, 4 Suspicious Persons/Vehicles calls, 7 Domestic/Family Disputes, 2 Mischief calls, 2 Assault calls, and 1 Neighbor Dispute. Here are some examples of calls for service for the week:
· Police investigated a theft of a sweater from a local school during the lunch hour. Police are advising students to remain vigilant at all times and not to leave valuables unattended.
· A female attended the Cobourg Police Station to report she was a victim of a cheque fraud. The same female was then made aware she was currently under investigation for cheque fraud herself and became reluctant to speak any further with police.
· Police investigated an attempted theft at a local hardware store after a male suspect attempted to leave the store with a concrete saw. The suspect was confronted by staff and left the store without the saw.
· Police were called to the Probation and Parole Office after receiving a call for a female in the lobby that was currently wanted on an arrest warrant. A 30 year old female was charged with Breach of Probation under the Criminal Code and released on a Promise to Appear with a future court date.
· A motor vehicle collision was reported to police that had occurred the day prior in a municipal parking lot when the complainant struck a pole with their vehicle.
· An elderly female residing at a local retirement residence contacted police to report a theft of a blanket from her room.
· Police received a call from CN rail after one of their trains struck a dog. The owner attended the scene and recovered their dog.
· Police were contacted after a complainant located a raccoon under his car and was worried he may harm it if he moved the car. Police attended and assisted the complainant in moving his car with no harm to the raccoon.
· Police received multiple calls regarding a female yelling at people in the area of Northumberland Hills Hospital. The female was reported as having a small child with her and walking towards the highway. The female was safely located by police and it was determined she was upset over a verbal dispute she had at the hospital.
· A dog leash was stolen from a pet store. Investigation is continuing as video of suspect was obtained.
· A missing female was located after being reported missing earlier in the morning.
· Peterborough OPP requested the assistance of Cobourg Police in cautioning a male for harassment. Officers located the male and he was cautioned.
· Police investigated a fraud where the complainant rented a property in the United States through an online website for $3000. Once attending the property in person the complainant realized it did not exist and he had been defrauded. The investigation is ongoing.
· An intoxicated male attended the front lobby of the Police Station. He was subsequently charged under the Liquor Licence Act and transported to the hospital due to his level of intoxication.
· The Cobourg Fire Department requested police assistance after receiving call for a vehicle on fire in the parking lot of a commercial building. The fire was extinguished by the vehicle’s owner prior to the arrival of Police or Fire.
· Police responded to a call for a possible domestic dispute in the Town’s East end after receiving a call for a female crying and a male yelling. Officers attended the address where the female stated she had just received news about the death of a family member and had become upset. Her boyfriend had been attempting to calm her down.
· A resident in the East end of Cobourg had their car tire slashed sometime overnight. Police investigation is continuing.