Minor Lacrosse Season Cancelled

In Sports

Supplied by Jeff Gard/jgsportsmedia.com
Northumberland Minor Lacrosse players will have to wait until next year for regular play to resume.

The Ontario Lacrosse Association has announced the cancellation of the box lacrosse season for 2020.

“We have held out hope until now because that’s what we believe our members would expect of us,” OLA president Marion Ladouceur said in a statement. “In prioritizing the health and safety of our members, we recognize that it is unlikely that box lacrosse can be played in what we have traditionally known as our regular season. We regret that the players, coaches, officials, parents and fans won’t get to enjoy what was certain to be an exciting season of action, but it is important for us to be realistic.”

Ladouceur added it’s time for the OLA to shift focus towards outdoor opportunities and alternative program formats with recommendations from their Return to Activity/Return to Play Committee.

“We look forward to sharing the results of these discussions with everyone when it is appropriate to do so. Keep those sticks in your hands.”

Cathy Williams, president of Northumberland Minor Lacrosse, hopes the opportunity will arise to run an outdoor skills and drills program.

In the meantime, there are several options available to parents of registered players: you can get a full refund of fees; a full refund minus a $25 donation to help cover costs associated with registration; a full refund minus a donation amount of your choice; or carry over fees towards the 2021 season (if there is an increase of fees, you won’t be required to pay it).

Donations are required, but the association appreciates any it receives as costs have already been incurred, such as trying to grow the game by paying for Nationwide Lacrosse to introduce the sport at area schools, advertising, bank/credit card fees and equipment purchases.

As previously reported, anyone who received a free stick with registration does not have to return them as Dan Brobbin of S & D Property Maintenance has offered to cover the cost of those sticks.

“I am so overwhelmed by the support the community has given us, from our players, coaches all the way to our sponsors, we couldn’t do this without them,” Williams said.

Pete Fisher
Author: Pete Fisher

Has been a photojournalist for over 30-years and have been honoured to win numerous awards for photography and writing over the years. Best selling author for the book Highway of Heroes - True Patriot Love

Join Our Newsletter!

Want to keep up to date on news and events in Northumberland? Subscribe to newsletter!

You may also read!

Champion Athlete Frank Mazza Dies in Peterborough

Acclaimed wheelchair athlete Frank Mazza, a member of the first group of inductees into the Cobourg and District Sports

Read More...

Video – Photo Gallery – Port Hope’s Annual Candlelight Festival

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAQnzIbtArU It was a beautiful evening for Port Hope’s annual Candlelight Festival on Friday, November 28, 2025. Adding to the celebration

Read More...

Video – Photo Gallery – Windy Weather Hits Northumberland County

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFz4Us72EJY It was a wild and windy day on Thursday, November 27, 2025 in the Northumberland County area and beyond. Although

Read More...

Mobile Sliding Menu