A “swatting” call reporting a bomb threat triggered a large-scale emergency response and evacuation at a Cobourg high school Monday morning.
Emergency crews, including the Cobourg Police Service, Cobourg Fire Department and Northumberland County Paramedics, were dispatched to St. Mary Catholic Secondary School at approximately 9:40 a.m.
Police say the threat was phoned in, prompting immediate safety protocols inside the school.
At 10:21 a.m., Principal Jill Barker issued an urgent message to parents and guardians advising the school had been placed in a “Hold and Secure” at the direction of police.
“All students and staff are safe and remain inside the building presently. All exterior doors are locked,” the message read.
The communication created confusion for some families, stating that no one was permitted to enter or exit the building, while also indicating police had directed that occupants begin leaving.
Moments later, as a precaution, the decision was made to evacuate the school entirely.
At approximately 10:26 a.m., students and staff were escorted out of the building in an orderly manner and walked with teachers to the Cobourg Community Centre. Parents and guardians were asked to pick up their children there, while school staff remained to supervise and coordinate regular end-of-day busing.
A significant police presence remained at the school through the late morning as officers conducted a detailed search of the building.
In an update issued at 1:21 p.m., Barker said the evacuation was carried out “out of an abundance of caution” and in coordination with the Cobourg Police Service.
She confirmed that officers from both the Cobourg Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police completed a thorough sweep of the school.
“They have officially cleared the building and determined there is no threat to the school,” Barker said.
As of 4 p.m. the Cobourg Police website has not been update regarding the incident.
Two media releases were issued during the incident. The first, at 10:24 a.m., indicated a search had been conducted and no immediate threat was located, although the school remained in lockdown at that time. A second release at 12:26 p.m. confirmed the lockdown had been lifted after a full search found nothing to substantiate the report.
A “swatting” incident involves a false report of a serious crime intended to trigger a large emergency response and is considered a criminal offence.
The incident disrupted the school day for hundreds of students and families, many of whom rushed to the community centre following the evacuation notice. Despite the alarming situation, all students and staff were reported safe.
As of late Monday afternoon, the Cobourg Police Service had not released further details about the origin of the call or whether charges are pending. The investigation remains ongoing.
No injuries were reported.