(Today’s Northumberland file photo)
By Cecilia Nasmith/Today’s Northumberland
Chief Paul VandeGraaf had a few success stories in the Chief’s Update portion of Tuesday’s Cobourg Police Service Board meeting.
In particular, he cited the “evolving impact of the Safer Streets Cobourg initiative.”
This initiative was launched June 14 “as an opportunity to create a better path forward,” a response to the rising number of calls complaining of trespassing and other public-safety issues. It focuses on enhancing police visibility and supporting vulnerable residents.
Since June 14, 56% of the total calls received have concerned incidents downtown, especially on King, Division and Albert streets.
The initiative has been funded through dollars not previously budgeted for it – $64,000 to date covering 812 hours of service.
This is going on, he acknowledged, amid complex social issues like homelessness, addiction and mental-health issues. And while enforcement is necessary, they try to avoid criminalizing vulnerable people.
“Long-term success depends on stable funding and community backing,” he said, adding that they are working on security grants and municipal support.
Chair Adam Bureau said he had heard rave reviews from a number of people.
“The streets have been 80 to 90% better, safer. They are more welcoming. Downtown businesses are happy, from what I have heard,” Bureau said.
The report went on to say two Cobourg residents were arrested as a result of a drug search warrant executed Aug. 23. The resulting charges include drug possession, possession of a weapon for dangerous purposes, failure to provide the necessities of life for two young children and possession of a weapon contrary to a prohibition order.
The new drone service, known as the Remotely Piloted Aircraft System, has already seen service. Seven pilots were trained in June, and nine missions were flown the first two weeks in July on such calls as a missing person, an alarm response, searching for a suspect at night and checking out an encampment.
“Our pilots have been active during all festival weekends,” the chief said.
Pilot programs to establish a Neighbourhood Watch in two neighbourhoods are ongoing, and signs will be installed shortly.
“We are also preparing to host public information sessions in coming weeks to expand awareness of this program.”
The Selective Traffic Enforcement target for July was speeding, with 28 Provincial Offence notices issued and one for stunt driving at excessive speed. The target for August is intersection safety, with September bring their annual back-to-school pleas for extra caution as excited and distracted kids start another school year.
Board member Ron Kerr asked how the July 4 closure of Northumberland County’s warming/cooling hub on Division Street might affect things as winter draws on
VandeGraaf saw the county’s call for offers of such space within communities outside of Cobourg, but said he hasn’t heard what success they might have had.
“I can tell you – without a place for people to be warm, we will continue to be the tip of the unfortunate spear in this.”